I haven't always succeeded in life. Sometimes each time I get up something seems to want to push me down. Sometimes I laugh until tears roll down my cheeks. Sometimes I sit in the wind and just breathe. Sometimes I feel like crying, and sometimes like flying. It's all me, and sometimes...I write these things down, and they're here for you to see.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Wrong Words to Use...

When trying to impress someone:
   - I do this, that, etc. (Talking only of yourself)
   - Pick up lines. Hate them.
   - You're just like him/her in this way...

When "comforting" someone on a break up:
   - You'll get over it
   - He/she wasn't good enough for you
   - I'm sorry you broke up, but I'm glad to have you back
   - Now we can do (insert something here) again
   - This is better for you
   - Are you interested in/going to go out with anyone this weekend?
   - Why don't you try so-and-so?
   - I feel better now that you aren't dating him/her
   - Aren't you over him/her yet?

When you want someone to do something:
   - "Never", "Always", "You should" phrases
   - Basically if you command without asking

When you're angry at someone:
   - I hate you
   - "You always" or "You never" statements
   - "Why don't you?..."
   - "You can't" or "You should" statements

Right words to use

When trying to impress someone:
   - So tell me about yourself
   - "Really?" "Wow!" "That's neat!"
   - Focus on them, look them in the eye, smile and be sincere. Don't interrupt. Be polite. Follow up with them.

When comforting someone on a break up:
   - I'm sorry
   - How do you feel?
   - Is there anything I can do?
   - Want to do something ____?
   - Give them a hug, let them vent/cry, whatever, just let them be sad and work through their feelings.  They're hurting and probably will for a while.

When you want someone to do something:
   - "Could you", "Please" statements
   - Be nice. Be sincere. Don't force yourself/your opinions on them. Talk with them, and make sure you both are REALLY on the same page. Give and take - don't expect them to be able to unconditionally give to you.   Don't feel entitled to anything.  People are people too.

When you're angry at someone:
   - "I feel like ___ when ____ happens"
   - **And if you're listening to them, LET THEM TALK WITHOUT interrupting. If you absolutely have to say something, ask if you can, then let them talk again.
   - I'm frustrated right now, but I'll get over it
   - Never point fingers at someone. You'll usually say things you regret later. If anything, let them know that you aren't ready to talk at the moment without saying things you don't want said, so you need to take a time out. This may be at least 10 minutes, but no longer than 24 hours, or else you'll never get the problem resolved.  During that time out, calm yourself and think about what you really want to accomplish.  Are you there to resolve the issue, or hurt someone else? Pray. Point out how you feel, not what the other person is doing wrong, until you can calmly talk about the issue without your emotions leading the conversation.



Just some things to think about.

Love, Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment