I haven't always succeeded in life. Sometimes each time I get up something seems to want to push me down. Sometimes I laugh until tears roll down my cheeks. Sometimes I sit in the wind and just breathe. Sometimes I feel like crying, and sometimes like flying. It's all me, and sometimes...I write these things down, and they're here for you to see.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Road Less Traveled...and Loved Along the Way...

I didn't do all that I "should have"...
I'm not saying I did wrong;
It's just when opportunity came up-
I couldn't pass along.

I woke a little earlier
And with that extra time
Said to my younger brother,
"Happy birthday, friend of mine."

I walked along at campus
And on my way to class,
Was sprayed by a stray sprinkler
That wasn't on the grass.

I could have scoffed, I chose to laugh,
And walked with higher step,
(Though hard to do, I must admit
With a textbook along with HEP)

I ate outside, enjoyed the sun-
Who knows how long She's there?
The leaves on all the tree's'll be gone,
With Winter in the air.

I used that bit of money
You know, my little spare?
And with it bought a present
For my brother, with such care.

My sister and I sang all the way home,
With the windows rolled way down,
You could tell we both were tired,
But we sang out for the town.

I played a little tune
With my brother oh so fun.
(We played a little harder
When out the window we'd see someone.) ;-)

And then tonight, at not quite nine
My homework yet to start,
My little sister comes to my side,
And tugs upon my heart.

So side by side, we sit and read
For "just a minute more..."
She snuggles by my arm, and heeds
My every word in store.

I did some homework; I read some books
I didn't finish, though...
But I'd never trade a day of books
For what I learned at home.

You can always gain more knowledge.
You can always buy more stuff.
But there's one thing you can't make up for-
It's for loving not enough.

That's why I chose my family
Over something, though important, yes.
Though I enjoy learning dearly,
I love my loved ones best.

It's late at night, it's time for bed
I know there's more to do.
But I have one question: With days like this...
What would you choose to do?

3 comments:

  1. Jenna your so cool. who else do i know can write a poem about their day and make it cool? no one. :) i love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manda,
    You make me smile, friend! I'm so glad I adopted you today during lunch!! :) That's right, everyone, go ahead and be jealous. I now have a sweetawesome little sister named Amanda. And she is pretty. :D
    Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete