I haven't always succeeded in life. Sometimes each time I get up something seems to want to push me down. Sometimes I laugh until tears roll down my cheeks. Sometimes I sit in the wind and just breathe. Sometimes I feel like crying, and sometimes like flying. It's all me, and sometimes...I write these things down, and they're here for you to see.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Place Unlocked by Keys

I'm fighting something in my arms,
It fights back just the same.
Some days it causes no alarms,
And some I feel the pain.

It sometimes takes all day to type
A simple message here,
As one hand may feel quite alright
The other just one finger.


It wouldn't be so bad, I guess,
If I had a different past time.
But playing piano is a mess
With arms wrapped in the meantime.


"I'm feeling bored, what shall I do?"
I'll wonder to the air.
"Oh, I know! I'll play a tune-
Wait, I can't". It's so unfair.


So I sit there at the bench
And wish so longingly
To ease my soul, and also quench
The urge to play keys free.


"Free of what?" said quizzically,
For you see nothing locked.
"Ahh, but why would they be keys
If a treasure was not blocked?"


A treasure not trapped by doors,
At least not wooden kind.
But hidden across far shores,
Waiting for you to find.


The soundboard is your raft
To take you 'cross the seas
And hear the music waft
Across the gentle breeze.


Sometimes the treasure's glimpsed
And excitement propels your way.
Sometimes it's just a glint
And you wait for another day.


This treasure that I've found
Is something that I love.
My body's on the ground,
My soul's in skys above.


Can you see this place I go to?
Can you taste the tempting breeze?
Can you understand my sorrows
Of when my muscles freeze?


 
This place of loving solitude
And unstopped flowing clarity
Is freed by the great Keys viewed
In front of my Black Beauty.

This place is my surrender,
My "hide away" of sorts,
Sometimes it's filled with thunder,
Sometimes it's just a fort.

A fort unlocked for laughter,
A place for you to try.
And sometimes if you'd rather,
It's there for you to cry.

There is a place for each of us
Waiting behind doors
Be it music, dance or something else,
That's what those keys are for.

For finding that special place
Where you can just be you.
To unlock the gate and let in race
The feelings of being You.

I once gave in, played anyway
Just for a moment or two...
Yet, there it was, Pain seemed to say
"I come with what you do."

This place that causes me to trance
This place that I've discovered
Is now viewed from a hard distance
Until I have recovered.

But, Oh, until that joyful day
When I can just play freely,
I'll sit and recall that special place-
The place unlocked by keys.

3 comments:

  1. this was really good. I enjoyed it A LOT. I hope your wrist gets better soon :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with sgauxght. That was an amazing peom... It captured everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, you never cease to amaze me with your poetry. I'm with Scott and Matt. I hope you get better soon. Really soon. :) Life without piano just isn't fair... :-/

    ReplyDelete